Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Helminths (Phylum Platyhelminthes, Class Trematoda) that cause schistosomiasis AKA blood flukes or bilharzia.
- Highly prevalent throughout tropical and lower resource countries.
- Three major species, geographically distinct:
- S. mansoni (Africa, Middle East, Caribbean, South America)
- S. haematobium (Africa, Middle East)
- S. japonicum (China, Southeast Asia, Philippines)
- Minor species:
- S. intercalatum (West and Central Africa, usually a cause of lower GI tract disease)
- S. mekongi (Laos, Cambodia)