- Helminths (phylum Platyhelminthes, class Trematoda) that cause schistosomiasis, AKA blood flukes or bilharzia.
- Highly prevalent throughout tropical and lower-resource countries.
- Three major species, geographically distinct:
- S. mansoni (Africa, Middle East, Caribbean, South America)
- S. haematobium (Africa, Middle East)
- S. japonicum (China, Southeast Asia, Philippines)
- Minor species:
- S. intercalatum (West and Central Africa, usually a cause of lower GI tract disease)
- S. mekongi (Laos, Cambodia)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.