- Anaerobic infections: intra-abdominal infections, skin and skin structure infections, bone and joint infections
- Bacterial septicemia; endocarditis (caused by Bacteroides spp.)
- Gynecologic infections (endometritis, endomyometritis, tubo-ovarian abscess, and postsurgical vaginal cuff infection) in combination with agents active against Gram-negative urogenital flora.
- Lower respiratory tract infections (in combination with another agent with activity against microaerophilic Streptococcus)
- Adjunct treatment for gastritis and duodenal ulcer associated with Helicobacter pylori
- CNS infections (meningitis and brain abscess)
- Treatment of acute intestinal amebiasis and amebic liver abscess
- Treatment of symptomatic and asymptomatic trichomoniasis
- Bacterial vaginosis (vaginal gel)
- Acne rosacea (topical gel)
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Colitis, including C. difficile, Crohn’s flare
- Treatment of giardiasis and dracunculiasis
- Periodontal disease
- Elective colorectal surgery (classified as contaminated or potentially contaminated)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 12, 2020
Dzintars, Kathryn, and Paul A Pham. "Metronidazole." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2020. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540346/all/Metronidazole.
Dzintars K, Pham PA. Metronidazole. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540346/all/Metronidazole. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Dzintars, K., & Pham, P. A. (2020). Metronidazole. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540346/all/Metronidazole
Dzintars K, Pham PA. Metronidazole [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540346/all/Metronidazole.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Metronidazole ID - 540346 A1 - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS AU - Pham,Paul,Pharm.D. Y1 - 2020/01/12/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540346/all/Metronidazole PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -