- Drug not currently available for use in the U.S.
- Also known in the literature as entamide furoate or entamide.
- CDC conducted a study on the investigational use of the drug between 1977-1990.
- Amebiasis, limited to the GI lumen, caused by Entamoeba histolytica.
- As a combination therapy with other antiprotozoals, such as nitroimidazoles, for treating invasive or extraintestinal amebiasis. Diloxanide furoate is not a tissue amoebicide. Therefore, in extraintestinal infections of E. histolytica, another agent (specifically a "tissue amoebicide" like metronidazole) should be considered for use with diloxanide furoate.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 18, 2022
Auwaerter, Paul G, and Kathryn Dzintars. "Diloxanide Furoate." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2022. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate.
Auwaerter PG, Dzintars K. Diloxanide furoate. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate. Accessed December 5, 2023.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Dzintars, K. (2022). Diloxanide furoate. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate
Auwaerter PG, Dzintars K. Diloxanide Furoate [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. [cited 2023 December 05]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Diloxanide furoate
ID - 540198
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
AU - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS
Y1 - 2022/10/18/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine