is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Drug not currently available for use in the U.S.
- Also known as in the literature as entamide furoate or entamide.
- CDC conducted a study with investigational use of the drug between 1977-1990.
- Amebiasis limited to the GI lumen, caused by Entamoeba histolytica.
- As combination therapy with other antiprotozoals such as nitroimidazoles for the treatment of invasive or extraintestinal amebiasis. Diloxanide furoate is not a tissue amoebicide and therefore in extraintestinal infections of E. histolytica, another agent (specifically a "tissue amoebicide" like Metronidazole) should be considered for use in combination with diloxanide furoate.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 13, 2016
Pham, Paul A, and Kathryn Dzintars. "Diloxanide Furoate." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate.
Pham PA, Dzintars K. Diloxanide furoate. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate. Accessed October 19, 2019.
Pham, P. A., & Dzintars, K. (2016). Diloxanide furoate. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate
Pham PA, Dzintars K. Diloxanide Furoate [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 October 19]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Diloxanide furoate
ID - 540198
A1 - Pham,Paul,Pharm.D. BCPS
AU - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS
Y1 - 2016/01/13/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540198/all/Diloxanide_furoate
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine