Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Gynecologic infections: by beta-lactamase producing strains of E. coli, and Bacteroides spp. (including B. fragilis).
- Intra-abdominal infections: by beta-lactamase producing strains of E. coli, Klebsiella spp. (including K. pneumoniae), Bacteroides spp. (including B. fragilis), and Enterobacter spp.
- Skin and soft tissue infections: by S. aureus (MSSA), E. coli, Klebsiella spp. (including K. pneumoniae), P. mirabilis, B. fragilis, Enterobacter spp., and A. calcoaceticus.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Epiglottitis (H. influenzae)
- Head and neck infections
- Hepatic abscess (consider in mild disease)
- Diabetic foot infection (w/ mild superficial ulcer)
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Bite wounds (Eikenella corrodens, Pasteurella multocida)
- Culture negative endocarditis or endocarditis caused by HACEK organisms
- Surgical prophylaxis
- Infections caused by Acinetobacter spp.
- NOTE: it is not recommended empirically for intra-abdominal infections due to high rates of resistance to E. coli.