Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
is a topic covered in the 5-Minute Pediatric Consult
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) is characterized by recurrent and stereotypical episodes of vomiting with intervening periods of normal health.
- Essential clinical features of CVS are two or more periods of intense nausea and paroxysmal vomiting lasting hours to days within a 6-month period, return to baseline health between episodes, stereotypical episodes with regard to timing of symptoms and duration; as well as the absence of an identifiable organic cause for vomiting.
- CVS commonly starts in early childhood with approximately 46% of children developing symptoms at ≤3 years of age.
- Prevalence of 0.2–1% has been reported.
- The syndrome is more common in Caucasians.
Commonly Associated Conditions
- 2/3 of CVS patients have symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- 11% of CVS patients have migraine headaches and a third of patients later develop migraine headaches.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome." 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 8th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618177/all/Cyclic_Vomiting_Syndrome.
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. In: Cabana MD, ed. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. 8th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618177/all/Cyclic_Vomiting_Syndrome. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. (2019). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618177/all/Cyclic_Vomiting_Syndrome
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome [Internet]. In: Cabana MD, editors. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2019 October 22]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618177/all/Cyclic_Vomiting_Syndrome.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
ID - 618177
ED - Cabana,Michael D,
BT - 5-Minute Pediatric Consult
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618177/all/Cyclic_Vomiting_Syndrome
PB - Wolters Kluwer
ET - 8
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine