Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood
An acquired, self-limited suppression of red cell production in an otherwise healthy child
- Mean age at diagnosis is 26 months.
- <10% are >3 years of age at diagnosis.
- Slight male predominance (male/female 5.1:3.1)
- No seasonal predominance
The incidence of transient erythroblastopenia of childhood is unknown due to limited data about unreported asymptomatic cases.
- There is no simple genetic pattern.
- Familial transient erythroblastopenia of childhood has been reported (rarely), suggesting a combination of environmental factors and genetic propensity.
There is no known way to prevent transient erythroblastopenia of childhood.
Transient erythroblastopenia of childhood is due to the absence of red cell precursors in bone marrow.
- Possible viral causes include parvovirus B19 and human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6), but this remains hypothetical.
- A serum inhibitor, such as an IgG directed at the committed erythroid stem cell progenitor, has also been proposed but not yet proven.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood." 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 8th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617423/all/Transient_Erythroblastopenia_of_Childhood.
Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood. In: Cabana MDM, ed. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617423/all/Transient_Erythroblastopenia_of_Childhood. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood. (2019). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), 5-Minute Pediatric Consult (8th ed.). Wolters Kluwer. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617423/all/Transient_Erythroblastopenia_of_Childhood
Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood [Internet]. In: Cabana MDM, editors. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617423/all/Transient_Erythroblastopenia_of_Childhood.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood ID - 617423 ED - Cabana,Michael D, BT - 5-Minute Pediatric Consult UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617423/all/Transient_Erythroblastopenia_of_Childhood PB - Wolters Kluwer ET - 8 DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -