The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the emergency use of molnupiravir for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adults at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 disease, including hospitalization and death.
- Risk for progression includes age > 60, diabetes, obesity (BMI ≥ 30), chronic kidney disease, serious heart conditions, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or active cancer.
- Authorized for treatment within the first 5d of symptomatic COVID-19 illness.
- In February 2023, the FDA updated the EUA by removing the need for a positive COVID-19 viral test to prescribe the medication
Molnupiravir is NOT authorized for:
- Patients < 18 years of age
- Patients requiring hospitalization for the management of COVID-19 disease (benefit has not been observed in patients beginning treatment after hospitalization)
- Use longer than 5 consecutive days
- Pre-exposure or post-exposure prophylaxis for the prevention of COVID-19 disease
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: February 6, 2023
Dzintars, Kathryn . "Molnupiravir." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540765/all/Molnupiravir.
Dzintars K. Molnupiravir. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540765/all/Molnupiravir. Accessed November 29, 2023.
Dzintars, K. (2023). Molnupiravir. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540765/all/Molnupiravir
Dzintars K. Molnupiravir [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 November 29]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540765/all/Molnupiravir.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Molnupiravir
ID - 540765
A1 - Dzintars,Kathryn ,Pharm.D., BCPS
Y1 - 2023/02/06/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540765/all/Molnupiravir
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine