Baricitinib is indicated for treating COVID-19 in hospitalized patients requiring supplemental oxygen, non-invasive or invasive mechanical ventilation, or ECMO.
- Evaluate baseline eGFR, liver enzymes, and complete blood count to determine treatment suitability. Monitor patients with abnormal baseline values closely.
- Baricitinib is not recommended for:
- Patients with ESRD or those receiving dialysis
- Patients with known active tuberculosis
- Limited information is available on using baricitinib in combination with systemic corticosteroids for managing patients with COVID-19.
Baricitinib is FDA-approved in adult patients for managing moderate to severe active rheumatoid arthritis who have had an inadequate response to one or more tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-antagonist therapies. The rest of the drug summary will include no additional information related to this treatment indication.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 6, 2023
Dzintars, Kathryn. "Baricitinib." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540757/all/Baricitinib.
Dzintars K. Baricitinib. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540757/all/Baricitinib. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Dzintars, K. (2023). Baricitinib. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540757/all/Baricitinib
Dzintars K. Baricitinib [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540757/all/Baricitinib.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Baricitinib ID - 540757 A1 - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS Y1 - 2023/05/06/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540757/all/Baricitinib PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -