- Non-motile Gram-negative bacillus; may appear as slender rods or coccobacilli. [Fig 1and Fig 2]
- Usually recovered in anaerobic cultures.
- Previously described as a Bacteroides species, reclassified under the genus Prevotella.
- Slow grower, some species require > 48 hrs incubation.
- As for all anaerobic bacteria, diagnosis of Prevotella spp. infections require specialized techniques for transport, isolation, processing and identification.
- Prevotella identification in many laboratories is still based on phenotypic methods.
- Prevotella spp. are bile-sensitive and vancomycin-resistant in contrast to species of the Bacteroides fragilis group and Porphyromonas spp., respectively.
- More than 50 species of Prevotella have been identified.
- In oral and head-and-neck infections, common isolates were Prevotella intermedia and Prevotella melaninogenica within the pigmented species as well as Prevotella oris and Prevotella oralis group within the non-pigmented species.
- Prevotella species are intrinsically resistant to aminoglycosides, aztreonam, trimethoprim, sulfonamides and fosfomycin.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 10, 2021
Kobayashi, Takaaki, and Paul G Auwaerter. "Prevotella." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2021. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540705/all/Prevotella.
Kobayashi T, Auwaerter PG. Prevotella. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2021. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540705/all/Prevotella. Accessed June 4, 2023.
Kobayashi, T., & Auwaerter, P. G. (2021). Prevotella. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540705/all/Prevotella
Kobayashi T, Auwaerter PG. Prevotella [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2021. [cited 2023 June 04]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540705/all/Prevotella.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Prevotella ID - 540705 A1 - Kobayashi,Takaaki,M.D. AU - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. Y1 - 2021/10/10/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540705/all/Prevotella PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -