Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobic Gram-negative rod (non-motile, non-spore forming), family Enterobacteriaceae.
- Four groups: subdivided into serotypes and subserotypes based upon lipopolysaccharide O antigenic repeats.
- Group A (S. dysenteriae see separate module for discussion of Group A infections, often cause of pandemics arising from natural and man-made disasters)
- Group B (S. flexneri, leading cause in low- and middle-income countries)
- Group C (S. boydii, relatively uncommon cause)
- Group D (S. sonnei, leading diarrhea cause in high income countries)
- >46 serotypes mean that there is often little protective immunity offered when exposed to new infections.
- In clinical microbiology laboratories, MacConkey or EMB agar in addition to Shigella-Salmonella agar yields best growth.