Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Formerly Corynebacterium equi. Ubiquitous in environment.
- Pleomorphic, non-motile Gram-positive coccobacillus.
- Variable acid-fast staining.
- Organism varies from coccoid to bacillary form depending on growth condition.
- Solid media: coccoid, salmon-pink color may not appear until 4-7 days after incubation.
- Liquid media: bacillary, branching.
- Modes of acquisition: inhalation, local inoculation, or ingestion.
- Can be overlooked as contaminant diphtheroids and be discarded.
- Lab should be aware if clinically suspected.
- Can also be confused with Micrococcus, Bacillus or Mycobacteria species.
- May cause necrotizing granulomata.