- This pleomorphic, non-motile Gram-positive coccobacillus [Fig 1] has undergone several name changes.
- Formerly known as Corynebacterium equi, then Rhodococcus equi, and later on Rhodoccushoagii (due to the realization R. equi had an earlier heterotypic synonym in Corynebacterium hoagii).
- Ubiquitous in the environment.
- Variably acid-fast staining.
- Organism varies from coccoid to bacillary form depending on growth condition.
- Modes of acquisition: inhalation, local inoculation, or ingestion.
- A common cause of bronchopneumonia in foals, also swine and cattle.
- It can be overlooked as contaminant diphtheroids and be discarded.
- The lab should be aware if clinically suspected.
- It can also be confused with Micrococcus, Bacillus or Mycobacteria species.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: August 8, 2022
Fabre, Valeria. "Rhodoccocus Hoagii." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2022. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540477/all/Rhodoccocus_hoagii.
Fabre V. Rhodoccocus hoagii. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540477/all/Rhodoccocus_hoagii. Accessed May 29, 2023.
Fabre, V. (2022). Rhodoccocus hoagii. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540477/all/Rhodoccocus_hoagii
Fabre V. Rhodoccocus Hoagii [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. [cited 2023 May 29]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540477/all/Rhodoccocus_hoagii.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Rhodoccocus hoagii ID - 540477 A1 - Fabre,Valeria,M.D. Y1 - 2022/08/08/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540477/all/Rhodoccocus_hoagii PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -