- Prophylaxis of invasiveAspergillus and disseminated candidiasis in severely immunocompromised hosts
- Such as hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients with graft vs. host disease (GVHD) or those with hematologic malignancies with prolonged neutropenia from chemotherapy- all formulations.
- Treatment of oropharyngeal candidiasis, including itraconazole and/or fluconazole refractory cases- oral suspension only.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Treatment of invasive fungal infections (aspergillosis, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, candidiasis) in patients who are intolerant to, or whose infections are refractory to standard therapy.
- Maintenance therapy for Mucorales in patients whose infection has been controlled with standard therapy (e.g., liposomal amphotericin B +/- surgery)
- Alternative treatment of infections due to hyaline fungi (e.g. Scedosporium spp., Acremonium spp., Scopulariopsis spp., Purpureocillium spp.).
- Posaconazole may be effective in combination with surgery for eumycotic mycetoma (localized fungal infections that may involve cutaneous and subcutaneous tissue, fascia and bone).
- Based on in-vitro data and limited clinical experience, posaconazole may be effective for infections due to certain dematiaceous fungi.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 8, 2020
Avdic, Edina, and Shmuel Shoham. "Posaconazole." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2020. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540448/all/Posaconazole.
Avdic E, Shoham S. Posaconazole. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540448/all/Posaconazole. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Avdic, E., & Shoham, S. (2020). Posaconazole. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540448/all/Posaconazole
Avdic E, Shoham S. Posaconazole [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540448/all/Posaconazole.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Posaconazole ID - 540448 A1 - Avdic,Edina,Pharm.D. AU - Shoham,Shmuel,M.D. Y1 - 2020/05/08/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540448/all/Posaconazole PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -