Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- OPAT: defined as the use of parenteral antibiotics outside of the acute care setting.
- Infusions can be administered in and by:
- Skilled nursing facility by staff members
- Outpatient infusion centers by nurses
- In the home by patient and/or family with support from home nursing professionals available
- Typically home nurses perform education on first initiation of home-based OPAT and then return to the home weekly for assessments, laboratory test draws, venous catheter dressing changes.
- In the home by home nursing professionals (unusual in the U.S.)
- In the home by patient and family without support from home nursing professionals
- Patients return to a clinic weekly for assessment, medication distribution.