Outpatient antibiotic therapy (OPAT)
- OPAT: defined as the use of parenteral antibiotics outside of the acute care setting.
- Infusions can be administered in and by:
- Skilled nursing facility by staff members
- Outpatient infusion centers by nurses
- In the home by patient and/or family with support from home nursing professionals available
- Typically home nurses perform education on first initiation of home-based OPAT and then return to the home weekly for assessments, laboratory test draws, venous catheter dressing changes.
- In the home by home nursing professionals (unusual in the U.S.)
- In the home by patient and family without support from home nursing professionals
- Patients return to a clinic weekly for assessment, medication distribution.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: June 2, 2018
Keller, Sara. "Outpatient Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT)." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2018. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540409/all/Outpatient_antibiotic_therapy__OPAT_.
Keller S. Outpatient antibiotic therapy (OPAT). Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2018. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540409/all/Outpatient_antibiotic_therapy__OPAT_. Accessed May 29, 2023.
Keller, S. (2018). Outpatient antibiotic therapy (OPAT). In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540409/all/Outpatient_antibiotic_therapy__OPAT_
Keller S. Outpatient Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2018. [cited 2023 May 29]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540409/all/Outpatient_antibiotic_therapy__OPAT_.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Outpatient antibiotic therapy (OPAT) ID - 540409 A1 - Keller,Sara,M.D. Y1 - 2018/06/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540409/all/Outpatient_antibiotic_therapy__OPAT_ PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -