Other atypical mycobacteria
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- M. celatum: slow growing (3-8 wks to culture). May cause false positive M. tuberculosis direct (MTD) test.
- M. genavense: very slow grower; difficult to grow; alert lab if M. genavense suspected.
- M. haemophilum: slow growing; alert lab if suspected since requires hemin or iron to grow in culture and grows best at 28-30°C.
- M. malmoense: slow growing; most clinical isolates/reports from northern Europe.
- M. mucogenicum: rapidly grows (< 7 days in culture); sporadic contaminant in respiratory samples; water is environmental reservoir. Previously known as M. chelonae-like organism.
- M. simiae: growth may take 4-6 weeks on LJ slants.
- M. szulgai: scotochromagen at 37ºC, and a photochromogen at 25ºC.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: May 30, 2016
Auwaerter, Paul. "Other Atypical Mycobacteria." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540406/all/Other_atypical_mycobacteria.
Auwaerter P. Other atypical mycobacteria. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540406/all/Other_atypical_mycobacteria. Accessed April 19, 2019.
Auwaerter, P. (2016). Other atypical mycobacteria. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540406/all/Other_atypical_mycobacteria
Auwaerter P. Other Atypical Mycobacteria [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 April 19]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540406/all/Other_atypical_mycobacteria.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Other atypical mycobacteria
ID - 540406
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
Y1 - 2016/05/30/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540406/all/Other_atypical_mycobacteria
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine