Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Uncomplicated acute illness due to influenza A and B infection in patients > 2 weeks of age and older who have been symptomatic for no more than 2 days.
- Efficacy not established (by prospective trials) if symptom onset > 48h duration.
- Prophylaxis of influenza in ages ≥ 1 yr of age.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Severe illness due to influenza A and B infection in immunocompromised and elderly pts who are hospitalized, even if > 48h symptoms--though limited data regarding efficacy 3 - 5 days post symptom onset.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend the use of oseltamivir for prophylaxis in infants > 3 months of age.