Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Small, non-enveloped, single-stranded positive-sense RNA virus.
- Noroviruses are 1 of 5 genera in the Caliciviridae family.
- Sapoviruses are another genus in the family that also cause acute gastroenteritis.
- Noroviruses are grouped into genogroups, numbering six currently known (I, II, and IV cause human infections), further divided into genetic clusters.
- Genogroup II, genotype 4 (II.4) is most commonly associated with outbreaks and severe disease.
- Genogroup I generally causes less severe disease and a lower attack rate partly because of an association between ABO blood type and infection.
- Total 25 genotypes known among GI, GII and GIV.
- Previously known as "Norwalk-like viruses."