Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Mycobacterial species
- Slow grower (2-6 weeks for positive with liquid media), photochromogen.
- DNA analysis suggests there may be 5-7 subspecies.
- Subtype I appears to be responsible for most human infection.
- M. tuberculosis and M. kansasii can occur together: cultures positive for M. kansasii should be incubated for prolonged periods to exclude M. tuberculosis, which grows slightly slower than M. kansasii.
- Reservoir appears to be water with likely infection via aerosol