Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Slow-growing acid fast bacillus (AFB), non-tubercular mycobactera (NTM).
- Growth on Löwenstein-Jensen media or Middlebrook 7H10 agar, typically seen > 7 days at 37ºC, although 25ºC is optimal.
- Scotochromogenic (smooth yellow to orange colonial formation) if growing in presence of light.
- Old classification: Runyon Group 2.
- Ubiquitous; reservoir is water (natural and tap) as well as soil. Often referred to as the "tap water bacillus."
- Growth usually takes 3 weeks or more at 37°C.