Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Ectoparasites that cause an infestation rather than infection.
- Lice live on human hosts by blood meals after piercing skin and injecting saliva that then causes pruritus.
- Lice can survive away from the human host for up to 10 days, after which time they die of starvation.
- 3 species infests humans:
- Phthirus pubis (crab louse, pubic louse)
- Pediculus humanus humanus (body louse)
- Pediculus humanus capitis (head louse)
- Life cycle: female lives 1-3 months, lays up to 300 eggs (nits). Nits hatch in 6-10 days giving rise to nymphs which become adults in 10 days.