is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Acid fast bacillus (AFB) morphologically resembles tubercle bacillus.
- M. leprae seen worldwide, but most common in Asia, Central and South America. Brazil, India, and Indonesia contribute 80% to the global new case load.
- Newly identified species M. lepromatosis sp nov has been proposed as causing disseminated leprosy.
- Slow-growing. Obligate intracellular pathogen, average doubling time ~2 weeks. Cannot culture in microbiology lab.
- Armadillos and immunocompromised mice used to grow M. leprae for research purposes.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 7, 2016
Auwaerter, Paul G, and Valeria Fabre. "Mycobacterium Leprae." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/all/Mycobacterium_leprae.
Auwaerter PG, Fabre V. Mycobacterium leprae. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/all/Mycobacterium_leprae. Accessed April 22, 2019.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Fabre, V. (2016). Mycobacterium leprae. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/all/Mycobacterium_leprae
Auwaerter PG, Fabre V. Mycobacterium Leprae [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 April 22]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/all/Mycobacterium_leprae.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Mycobacterium leprae
ID - 540310
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
AU - Fabre,Valeria,M.D.
Y1 - 2016/01/07/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540310/all/Mycobacterium_leprae
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine