is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Inflammatory disease around abnormal and dilated hair follicles with secondary involvement of apocrine glands and surrounding structures, often with superinfection.
- Genetic predisposition possible; 40% have family history of hidradentitis supperativa.
- Pathogenesis believed to start with occlusion and dilation of the pilosebaceous unit → rupture → extrusion of follicular contents into dermis → chemotactic inflammatory response → influx of neutrophils, lymphocytes, histiocytes → abscess formation (thus it is both an inflammatory disease related to immune dysregulation and an infectious disease).
- Infection appears to be a result of inflammatory occlusion of ducts rather than the underlying process for hidradenitis supperativa.
- Microbiology: culture may yield mixed aerobic/anaerobic bacteria with S. epidermidis and S. aureus most commonly isolated.
- Up to 50% of patients are culture negative.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: July 2, 2016
Hoffmann, Christopher J. "Hidradenitis Suppurativa." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540272/all/Hidradenitis_Suppurativa.
Hoffmann CJ. Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540272/all/Hidradenitis_Suppurativa. Accessed April 22, 2019.
Hoffmann, C. J. (2016). Hidradenitis Suppurativa. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540272/all/Hidradenitis_Suppurativa
Hoffmann CJ. Hidradenitis Suppurativa [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 April 22]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540272/all/Hidradenitis_Suppurativa.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Hidradenitis Suppurativa
ID - 540272
A1 - Hoffmann,Christopher,M.D., M.P.H.
Y1 - 2016/07/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540272/all/Hidradenitis_Suppurativa
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine