Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Aerobe or facultative anaerobe, thin, pleomorphic Gram-positive rod.
- Zoonotic infection that more commonly infects turkeys, pigs and other animals than humans.
- E. rhusiopathiae is only genus within species.
- Culture isolation difficult. Slow grower in enriched blood media with 5-10% CO2.
- Intrinsically resistant to vancomycin, which commonly might be used empirically unless the organism is properly identified and distinguished from diphtheroids (Corynebacterium spp.) and Lactobacillus.
- Also usually resistant to aminoglycosides and sulfonamides.