Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Chikungunya virus (CHKV): single positive strand RNA arbovirus of family Togaviridae, genus Alphavirus.
- Name taken from the East African/Mozambique Makonde language "that which bends up," believed to describe contortions due to severe joint pain.
- Human infection is vector-borne, primarily mosquitoes.
- Recent outbreak (2005-2006) in Indian Ocean islands may represent more virulent strain than historically as complications (meningoencephalitis, multiorgan dysfunction) and death reported more frequently.
- Human disease, especially arthropathy, similar to alphavirus Ross River virus infection.