Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- C. canimorsus (previously known as DF-2, dysgonic fermenter) and C. cynodegmi (previously known as DF-2 like organism) are facultatively anaerobic Gram-negative rods, part of normal oral flora of dogs and cats.
- C. cynodegmi is considered less virulent than C. canimorsus.
- Other Capnocytophaga species may be part of animal oral flora, or normal human oral flora/dental plaques, e.g., C. sputigena, C. canis, C. endodontalis sp. nov. and C. gingivalis.
- Organisms have a long, fusiform appearance on gram stain, making it distinctive enough to consider morphologic identification pending cx results.
- Organisms considered fastidious by the micro lab.
- Most strains are resistant to polymyxin, fusidic acid, fosfomycin and trimethoprim.