- Facultative, aerobic, nonmotile, slender, intracellular, Gram-negative rod thrives intracellularly by modulating host immune-signaling pathways.
- B. mallei is the agent of glanders, a disease of solipeds: horses, donkeys, and mules.
- If suspected, notify lab personnel
- B. mallei is highly infectious as an aerosol.
- Classified as a Tier 1 biological select agent, https://www.selectagents.gov, accessed 6/3/23.
- The Federal Select Agent Program lists excluded attenuated strains with potential for vaccine development.
- Sometimes erroneously identified as Pseudomonas sp. by standard microbiologic testing, B. mallei is morphologically indistinguishable from B. pseudomallei.
- Hard to see on Gram stain. It grows slowly, best with glycerol [Fig 1].
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.