Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Bordetella are small, aerobic Gram negative coccobacilli.
- Organisms are fastidious, need special media (such as charcoal blood agar with cephalexin, Regan Lowe or Bordet-Gengou media) for isolation.
- B. pertussis: most common etiology of whooping cough and exclusively a human pathogen.
- B. parapertussis: leads to less severe but similar symptoms.
- B. bronchiseptica (agent of kennel cough)
- B. holmesii: rarely have been implicated to cause human respiratory disease. May cause sepsis in an immunocompromised patients.
- B. trematum: rarely found in wounds and ear infections.
- B. hinzii: uncommon cause of sepsis in immunocompromised hosts.
- B. avium: pathogen identified only in birds.