is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Small fastidious intracellular pleomorphic Gram-negative bacilli.
- Bartonella has 19 known species, 7 cause human disease: B. henselae, B. bacilliformis, B. quintana, B. vinsonii, B. grahamii, B. elizabethae and B. koehlerae.
- Best seen with Warthin-Starry silver stain or a Brown-Hopps tissue gram stain.
- Major reservoir of B. henselae is cats -- 50% of cats are seropositive and transmit by saliva contact or scratching ("cat scratch fever" or catch scratch disease [CSD]).
- Menu of diseases caused by Bartonella include cat scratch disease, retinitis, trench fever, relapsing bacteremia, endocarditis, bacillary angiomatosis, and bacillary peliosis hepatitis.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: October 4, 2015
Bartlett, John G. "Bartonella Species." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2015. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/6/Bartonella_Species.
Bartlett JG. Bartonella Species. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2015. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/6/Bartonella_Species. Accessed June 26, 2019.
Bartlett, J. G. (2015). Bartonella Species. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/6/Bartonella_Species
Bartlett JG. Bartonella Species [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2015. [cited 2019 June 26]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/6/Bartonella_Species.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Bartonella Species
ID - 540056
A1 - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2015/10/04/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540056/6/Bartonella_Species
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine