- Bacillus anthracis (Category A bioterrorism agent)
- Spore is a primary infectious form.
- Gram-positive, large rod-shaped organism [Fig 1]
- Virulence factors:
- Antiphagocytic capsule
- Exotoxins: why anti-toxin therapies have been developed given the prominence of these toxins in causing illness.
- Edema toxin (ET)
- Lethal toxin (LT)
- Protective antigen (PA) combines ET and LT and facilitates entry into cells and assists in downregulating immune responses.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.