Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Protozoan hemoflagellate, agent of human African sleeping sickness.
- Zoonotic infection of cattle, transmitted by painful bite of TseTse fly (Fig 1, not preventable with DEET) in rural African locales.
- Other modes of transmission possible: vertical (mother → child), sexual contact (rare), laboratory-related
- Trypanosoma brucei complex of which two subspecies exist:
- T. b. gambiense causes West African sleeping sickness
- T. b. rhodesiense causes East African sleeping sickness