is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Non-enveloped double-stranded DNA virus.
- There are 7 human species (A-G) and >60 types.
- Recent outbreaks linked to types 4, 7, and 14.
- Easily transmitted: aerosolized droplet, fecal-oral, waterborne, fomites and instruments.
- Persists in environment, may remain infectious at room temperature up to 3 wks.
- Stable at low pH, resistant to gastric and biliary secretions.
- Replicates to high viral load in gut. Can be asymptomatically shed.
- Detection in stool often precedes detection in blood, GI tract may serve as reservoir for reactivation.
- Few serotypes, i.e., subgroup C, can induce latent infection in lymphoepithelial tissue.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: June 5, 2019
Spacek, Lisa A. "Adenovirus." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540009/all/Adenovirus.
Spacek LA. Adenovirus. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540009/all/Adenovirus. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Spacek, L. A. (2019). Adenovirus. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540009/all/Adenovirus
Spacek LA. Adenovirus [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. [cited 2019 October 22]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540009/all/Adenovirus.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Adenovirus
ID - 540009
A1 - Spacek,Lisa,M.D., Ph.D.
Y1 - 2019/06/05/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540009/all/Adenovirus
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine