This monograph describes a medication approved for use in Canada by the Therapeutic Products Directorate, a division of Health Canada’s Health Products and Food Branch. The medication is not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration; however, a similar formulation carrying a different generic or brand name might be available in the US.
lower gastrointestinal tract motility regulators
- Symptomatic treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Treatment of postoperative paralytic ileus.
Acts as a spasmolytic.
- ↓ symptoms of IBS.
- Resumption of intestinal transit following abdominal surgical procedures.
Absorption: Rapidly absorbed following oral administration.
Metabolism and Excretion: Extensively metabolized, <2.4% excreted unchanged in urine.
Half-life: 2.7–3.1 hr.
TIME/ACTION PROFILE (symptom relief)
|PO||within 3 days–2 wk||1 hr (blood level)||>1 wk (following discontinuation)|
Use Cautiously in:
- OB: Not recommended for use;
- Pedi: Children <12 yr (safety and effectiveness not established).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
CNS: dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, headache
GI: diarrhea, dry mouth, dysguesia, dyspepsia, epigastric pain, nausea
Derm: hot/cold sensation, rash
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
PO (Adults): 200 mg 3 times daily.
Tablets: 100 mg, 200 mg
- Assess for symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (cramping, constipation and diarrhea, mucus in stools).
- Assess for abdominal distention and assess bowel sounds.
- Monitor intake and output and record.
- Acute pain
- PO Administer three times daily before meals.
- Instruct patient to take trimebutine as directed.
- Advise female patient to inform health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breast feeding.
Decrease signs and symptoms of irritable bowel disease.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Complete Product Information.