Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- yohimbe bark
- Pausinystalia yohimbe
- Corynanthe johimbi
erectile dysfunction agents
Yohimbine causes genital blood vessel dilation, nerve impulse transmission to genital tissue, and increased reflex excitability in the sacral region of the spinal cord. It works primarily through alpha 2–adrenergic receptor blockade and also has monoamine oxidase inhibiting, calcium channel blocking, and serotonin receptor blocking effects.
Improved sexual function.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Anxiety and depression.
- Heart disease.
- Kidney disease.
- Liver disease.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Use Cautiously in:
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Concomitant use with consumption of tyramine-containing foods can lead to hypertensive crisis.
- Excessive doses without medical supervision can cause significant toxicity.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
CV: hypertension, tachycardia, cardiac failure (high doses)
CNS: excitation, headache, tremor, anxiety, dizziness, insomnia
F and E: fluid retention
GI: nausea, vomiting
GU: urinary frequency
MS: paralysis (high doses)
Misc: hypersensitivity reactions
Resp: respiratory depression (high doses)
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- Additive effects with monoamine oxidase inhibitors..
- Antagonistic effects with clonidine and other antihypertensives.
Increased risk of alpha 2–adrenergic antagonism with phenothiazines..Increased risk of hypertensive crisis with stimulants..
- May increase or decrease BP with tricyclic antidepressants..
Concomitant use with caffeine-containing herbsand ephedra can cause hypertensive crisis.
PO (Adults): 15–30 mg/daily. Doses up to 100 mg/day have been used but with significantly more side effects.
Capsules: 2.5 mg, 3 mg
- Assess frequency and severity of erectile dysfunction.
- Sexual dysfunction (Indications)
- PO May increase bioavailability by taking on an empty stomach.
- Instruct patient to take as recommended.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications, especially stimulants.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Male erection sufficient to allow intercourse.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Complete Product Information.