Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Brewer's yeast
anti irritable bowel syndrome agents
- Treatment and prevention of diarrhea
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
Saccharomyces boulardii is a non-pathogenic yeast used to colonize the gastrointestinal tract.
Reduced number of bowel movements.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Hypersensitivity to yeast.
Use Cautiously in:
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Immunocompromised patients (↑ risk of fungemia)
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
GI: bloating, constipation, flatulence
Misc: fungemia, ↑ thirst
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
Antifungals may decrease effectiveness of Saccharomyces boulardii
PO: (Adults) 250–500 mg two to four times a day.
Capsules: 250 mg
- Assess patient for abdominal distention, presence of bowel sounds, and usual pattern of bowel function.
- Assess color, consistency, and amount of stool produced.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor CBC periodically during therapy.
- Diarrhea (Indications)
- PO: Administer as directed.
- Instruct patient to take as directed.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Resolution of diarrhea and decrease in number of loose stools.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Learn more.