Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome
is a topic covered in the 5-Minute Pediatric Consult
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Condition characterized by discomfort at the anterior aspect of the knee that is generally associated with activities, especially those that involve running, jumping, and climbing stairs
- Has also been called “miserable malalignment syndrome”
- Predisposing factors for patellofemoral malalignment syndrome include the following:
- Femoral anteversion
- Genu valgus
- Pes planus
- These three anatomic features have been commonly referred to as a terrible triad contributing to anterior knee pain. Because the entire kinetic chain is linked in function, malalignment at one area can lead to secondary stresses at a distant location.
- Excess femoral anteversion, as well as marked pes planus, can contribute to increased lateral pull on the patella and subsequent patellofemoral pain.
- Further contributing factors include a wider pelvis and a more laterally positioned tibial tubercle, both of which also contribute to altered biomechanics at the knee.
- Weak hip abductors and quadriceps muscles and tight hamstrings, iliotibial band, Achilles tendons, and quadriceps can lead to increased forces across the patellofemoral joint.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome." 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 8th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618160/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome.
Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome. In: Cabana MD, ed. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. 8th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618160/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome. Accessed October 14, 2019.
Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome. (2019). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618160/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome
Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome [Internet]. In: Cabana MD, editors. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2019 October 14]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618160/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome
ID - 618160
ED - Cabana,Michael D,
BT - 5-Minute Pediatric Consult
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/618160/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome
PB - Wolters Kluwer
ET - 8
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine