Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Bacterial and/or respiratory viral pathogens can be isolated from middle ear aspirates from children with acute otitis media (AOM).
- In the era of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination, the most common bacteria implicated in AOM:
- Streptococcus pneumoniae (~30%)
- Nontypable Haemophilus influenzae (~30%)
- Moraxella catarrhalis (~15%)
- Pathogens occasionally involved in AOM include: Streptococcus pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus and oral anaerobic bacteria.
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa may be present in middle ear fluid in children with chronic otitis media.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: April 29, 2014
Tamma, Pranita. "Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2014. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media_Pediatric.
Tamma P. Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2014. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media_Pediatric. Accessed June 25, 2019.
Tamma, P. (2014). Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media_Pediatric
Tamma P. Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2014. [cited 2019 June 25]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media_Pediatric.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Acute Otitis Media, Pediatric
ID - 540632
A1 - Tamma,Pranita,M.D.
Y1 - 2014/04/29/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540632/all/Acute_Otitis_Media_Pediatric
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine