COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma
- The FDA issued an updated Emergency Use Authorization (EUA, 12/28/21) permitting the use of high-titer COVID-19 convalescent plasma only for patients who are immunosuppressed or receiving immunosuppressive therapy, whether hospitalized or ambulatory.
- The FDA EUA specifies the following:
- Only high titer plasma units are authorized for administration. COVID-19 convalescent plasma must be tested for anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies with 1 of 6 available kits (See Appendix A in 12/28/21 EUA)
- The administration should be initiated with 1 unit (200 mL).
- Additional convalescent plasma units may be administered based on the patient’s clinical response.
- Physicians should consider using COVID-19 convalescent plasmas among patients with impaired humoral immunity.
- Healthcare providers must make the FDA Fact Sheet for Patients and Parents/Caregivers available before use.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.