Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome]
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- SARS-associated coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Respiratory pathogen with spread by airborne droplet transmission.
- RNA enveloped virus; note that the coronavirus causing SARS is a separate group than those previously reported to cause human or animal illness.
- First reported in SE Asia February 2003. Last known human case in China, April 2004.
- Declared a select agent by CDC (2012, select agent is a bacterium, virus or toxin that has the potential to pose a severe threat to public health and safety).
- Although Coronavirus and metapneumovirus and other bacterial and viral (influenza) pathogens have also been co-isolated from patients, SARS-CoV is considered the causative agent.
- Animal reservoir initially thought to be the civet cat, latest information suggests the Horseshoe bat implicated in transmitting this infection to humans.