Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- All forms of tuberculosis.
- Treatment of asymptomatic carriers of Neisseria meningitidis to eliminate meningococci from the nasopharynx.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Prosthetic valve endocarditis caused by staphylococci in combination with other agents (e.g. oxacillin/nafcillin, vancomycin) after blood cultures have cleared.
- Prosthetic joint infections following debridement and retention of the prosthesis or 1-stage exchange.
- Meningitis caused by penicillin and ceftriaxone resistant S. pneumoniae
- Non-tuberculous mycobacterial infections (e.g. leprosy, MAC)
- Bartonella infections
- Q-fever and rickettsialinfections
- Cutaneous leishmaniasis
- Legionella infections
- Anthrax infections
- NOTE: Rifampin is usually used in combination with other agents due to quick emergence of resistance if used as monotherapy.