Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Formerly Corynebacterium equi. Ubiquitous in the environment.
- Pleomorphic, non-motile Gram-positive coccobacillus [Fig 1].
- Variable acid-fast staining.
- Organism varies from coccoid to bacillary form depending on growth condition.
- Modes of acquisition: inhalation, local inoculation, or ingestion.
- A common cause of bronchopneumonia in foals, also swine and cattle.
- It can be overlooked as contaminant diphtheroids and be discarded.
- The lab should be aware if clinically suspected.
- Can also be confused with Micrococcus, Bacillus or Mycobacteria species.