is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Anaerobic Gram-positive cocci: part of normal flora of the mouth, GI and GU tracts as well as skin.
- Heterogeneous group of "anaerobic strep" now classified in 5 groups and changes in taxonomy can be confusing. For example, Finegoldia magna is the former Peptosteptococcus magnus.
- Small cocci, may be seen on Gram stain in short chains and pairs.
- GPC seen may appear identical to aerobic streptococci (chains) or staphylococci (clusters) [Fig].
- Non-spore forming
- Peptostreptococcus (which includes the former Peptococcus) account for nearly all anaerobic GPC except Finegoldia magna.
- Most common and important: Finegoldia magna, P. asaccharolyticus. Less common: P. micros, P. anaerobius.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: July 2, 2016
Auwaerter, Paul G, and John G Bartlett. "Peptostreptococcus." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/2/Peptostreptococcus.
Auwaerter PG, Bartlett JG. Peptostreptococcus. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/2/Peptostreptococcus. Accessed October 20, 2019.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Bartlett, J. G. (2016). Peptostreptococcus. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/2/Peptostreptococcus
Auwaerter PG, Bartlett JG. Peptostreptococcus [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 October 20]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/2/Peptostreptococcus.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Peptostreptococcus
ID - 540426
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
AU - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2016/07/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/2/Peptostreptococcus
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine