- Ectoparasites that cause an infestation rather than infection.
- Lice live on human hosts by blood meals after piercing skin and injecting saliva that then causes pruritus.
- Lice can survive away from the human host for up to 10 days, after which time they die of starvation.
- Three species infest humans:
- Phthirus pubis (crab louse, pubic louse)
- Pediculus humanus humanus (body louse)
- Pediculus humanus capitis (head louse)
- Life cycle: female lives 1-3 months and lays up to 300 eggs (nits). Nits hatch in 6-10 days giving rise to nymphs that become adults in 10 days.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.