Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Spore-forming anaerobe, Gram-positive bacillus [Fig 1].
- Found in human and animal feces, also in water and soils.
- Reclassified as molecular sequencing suggests that the organism should be in the Peptostreptococcaceae family and termed Peptoclostridium.
- Clostridioides difficile name selected to differentiate from Clostridiaspp. which are not related but allowing for less clinical confusion moving from the long-standing terminology of Clostridium difficile.
- Produces toxins A and B that cause colitis in humans.
- Occasionally grown in anaerobic cultures, rarely a cause of infection other than colitis.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: June 6, 2019
Bartlett, John G. "Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) Difficile." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile.
Bartlett JG. Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile. Accessed October 13, 2019.
Bartlett, J. G. (2019). Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile
Bartlett JG. Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) Difficile [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. [cited 2019 October 13]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile
ID - 540134
A1 - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2019/06/06/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Pediatrics Central
DP - Unbound Medicine