- Uncomplicated urinary tract infections caused by E. coli or K. pneumoniae (PO and IV)
- Uncomplicated skin and skin-structure infections caused by S. aureus or S. pyogenes (PO and IV) E. coli, Klebsiella spp., and Enterobacter spp. (IV)
- Impetigo (pediatric patients) (PO)
- Upper respiratory tract infections including acute otitis media, acute maxillary sinusitis, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, and pharyngitis/tonsillitis (PO)
- Early Lyme disease (erythema migrans) caused by B. burgdorferi (PO)
- Lower respiratory tract infections including community-acquired pneumonia (CAP, IV)
- Septicemia caused by S. aureus, S. pneumoniae, E. coli, H. influenzae, Klebsiella spp. (IV only)
- Meningitis S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, N. meningitidis, and S. aureus (MSSA) (IV only).
- Author’s comment: nafcillin preferred for MSSA meningitis.
- Bone and joint infections caused by MSSA (IV)
- Uncomplicated urethral and endocervical gonorrhea and ano-rectal gonorrhea (females) caused by N. gonorrhoeae (no longer recommended, oral and IV)
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Late Lyme arthritis
- CAP (oral cefuroxime)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 2, 2019
Avdic, Edina, and Paul A Pham. "Cefuroxime." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540105/all/Cefuroxime.
Avdic E, Pham PA. Cefuroxime. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540105/all/Cefuroxime. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Avdic, E., & Pham, P. A. (2019). Cefuroxime. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540105/all/Cefuroxime
Avdic E, Pham PA. Cefuroxime [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540105/all/Cefuroxime.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Cefuroxime ID - 540105 A1 - Avdic,Edina,Pharm.D. AU - Pham,Paul,Pharm.D. Y1 - 2019/01/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540105/all/Cefuroxime PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -