Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Small, pleomorphic Gram negative anaerobic bacillus. B. fragilis causes most human Bacteroides infections.
- Other members of B. fragilis group include:
- Bacteroides distasonis
- Bacteroides ovatus
- Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron
- Bacteroides vulgatus
- Easily grown relative to other anaerobes.
- Colonizes virtually all human colons.
- Organism possibly important in gut for immune modulation.
- B. fragilis group almost always susceptible to metronidazole, carbapenems, beta-lactam/beta-lactamase inhibitors and chloramphenicol.