A group of rheumatic diseases characterized by axial and/or peripheral arthritis and enthesitis (inflammation at the bony insertion of tendons and ligaments)
- Enthesitis-related arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis (AS)
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Inflammatory bowel disease–associated arthropathy
- Reactive arthritis
- Spondyloarthritis accounts for 15–20% of juvenile arthritis or more.
- Nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis (male = female)
- AS typically affects adolescent boys (male-to-female ratio is 2 to 3:1).
Prevalence of AS mirrors that of HLA-B27 in a population
- European descent 8% HLA-B27+ and 0.5% AS
- HLA-B27 associated
- Risk of developing ERA with HLA-B27 is approximately 1–3%. Usually, there is a family history of a male relative with the disease.
- HLA-B27–positive with a family history of AS have a 10-fold increased risk of AS compared to HLA-B27–positive person with no family history.
- Inflammatory synovitis of joints and inflammation at sites of ligament and tendon attachment to bone (entheses).
- Progression to ankylosis is a result of calcification of the anterior and posterior longitudinal ligaments of the spine.
- Autoimmune or autoinflammatory arthritis of unknown etiology, likely multifactorial
- Microbiome may play a role in disease.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Spondyloarthropathy." 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 8th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617749/all/Spondyloarthropathy.
Spondyloarthropathy. In: Cabana MDM, ed. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617749/all/Spondyloarthropathy. Accessed May 30, 2023.
Spondyloarthropathy. (2019). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), 5-Minute Pediatric Consult (8th ed.). Wolters Kluwer. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617749/all/Spondyloarthropathy
Spondyloarthropathy [Internet]. In: Cabana MDM, editors. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2023 May 30]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617749/all/Spondyloarthropathy.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Spondyloarthropathy ID - 617749 ED - Cabana,Michael D, BT - 5-Minute Pediatric Consult UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617749/all/Spondyloarthropathy PB - Wolters Kluwer ET - 8 DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -