Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is the infusion of progenitor stem cells with the intention of restoring hematopoiesis and immunity. HSCT can be classified by
- Donor type: syngeneic (derived from an identical twin), allogeneic (derived from a related or unrelated donor), or autologous (derived from the patient prior to stem cell-toxic therapy)
- Product type
- Bone marrow transplantation (BMT): Stem cells are obtained by harvesting bone marrow under anesthesia.
- Peripheral blood stem cell transplantation (PBSCT): Stem cells are mobilized to the periphery with cytokines (GCSF) and collected by apheresis.
- Umbilical cord blood transplantation (UCBT): Stem cells are collected from the umbilical cord and placenta immediately after birth.
- Stem cells are infused in the peripheral blood of the recipient using a central venous catheter, similar to a blood transfusion. They then home to the bone marrow niche and over the next 2 to 4 weeks differentiate into mature blood components.
- In 2013, >1,900 pediatric allogeneic HSCTs were performed worldwide. Approximately 40% of allogeneic transplants are from matched related donors.
- The use of unrelated PBSCT and unrelated UCBT has been gradually increasing since the late 1990s, whereas the use of related BMT has remained stable.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant." 5-Minute Pediatric Consult, 8th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2019. Pediatrics Central, peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617486/all/Bone_Marrow_and_Stem_Cell_Transplant.
Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant. In: Cabana MDM, ed. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617486/all/Bone_Marrow_and_Stem_Cell_Transplant. Accessed June 4, 2023.
Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant. (2019). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), 5-Minute Pediatric Consult (8th ed.). Wolters Kluwer. https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617486/all/Bone_Marrow_and_Stem_Cell_Transplant
Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant [Internet]. In: Cabana MDM, editors. 5-Minute Pediatric Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2019. [cited 2023 June 04]. Available from: https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617486/all/Bone_Marrow_and_Stem_Cell_Transplant.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant ID - 617486 ED - Cabana,Michael D, BT - 5-Minute Pediatric Consult UR - https://peds.unboundmedicine.com/pedscentral/view/5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/617486/all/Bone_Marrow_and_Stem_Cell_Transplant PB - Wolters Kluwer ET - 8 DB - Pediatrics Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -