is a topic covered in the 5-Minute Pediatric Consult
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Pediatrics Central™ is an all-in-one application that puts valuable medical information, via your mobile device or the web, in the hands of clinicians treating infants, children, and adolescents. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
Often benign, self-limited inflammatory process of an intervertebral disk
>50% of the cases occur in children <4 years of age.
- Peak incidence is between 0 and 2 years of age.
- Second peak: >10 years
- Probably of infectious etiology by an indolent organism
- Usually none identified; occasionally, Staphylococcus aureus, Moraxella, or the Enterobacteriaceae are cultured.
- Kingella kingae has been implicated in ages 6 months to 4 years old.
- Can be a late complication after ingested button battery is removed
Idiopathic, infectious, or traumatic
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --